Champion Generator Review 46539
The Champion Power Equipment 46539 4,000 Watt 196cc 4-Stroke Gas Powered Portable Generator has a starting wattage of 4,000 watts and a running wattage of 3,500 watts.
One great feature about the Champion 4000 watt generator is that it has three different ways to start it. It has a wireless remote, electric start, or a pull start.
There is some assembly required. You will need to install the wheel kit, the support leg, the handle, and the battery.
You must also fill the generator with the provided engine oil. The correct oil type is 10W-30 which is included in the package. Also included is a funnel to use while adding the oil. Simply remove the engine oil dipstick and add 0.63 quarts of oil, being careful not to overfill it.
Make sure you check the oil levels often, however if you forget to check the oil the generator has an automatic shut off when the oil gets too low.
Champion Generator 4000 Engine Controls
- It runs on gasoline and is an Alternating current generator.
- It has a gas gauge
- The 3.8 gallon fuel tank is located on the top of the unit
- It has an auto-choke feature
- It comes with a 12 volt battery which is used to start the engine with the electric starter and the remote control. If for some reason the battery has been drained you can still start the generator using the pull string.
- The panel comes with many features. It has an Intelligauge which tells you running hours, the voltage, and hertz.
- The panel also has an ignition switch, circuit breakers and a ground terminal.
- It has a battery switch used to enable or disable the ability to start the generator both electrically with the electric switch or remotely using the remote control.
- It has three connection types:
- 120 Volt AC, 30 Amp twist lock Outlet
- 120 Volt AC, 30 Amp Outlet
- 120 Volt AC, 20 Amp Duplex Outlet
- It comes with a simple two button remote control. The options on the remote are Start and Stop. The remote can be used up to 80 feet away.
In order to use the remote control on this 4000 watt generator you first must make sure that on the generator control panel both the ignition switch and the battery switch are both turned on. The remote will not work if either one of these are in the off position.
Please be aware that when either of these switches are in the on position they will drain the battery. If you are not planning on using the generator keep both of these switches turned off.
Using the remote also provides a nice feature. When you use the remote to start the generator there is a 15 second delay after you hit start. This allows the 4000 watt generator to get fully up to speed before it begins to apply voltage to the item you have connected to it.
There is also a delay when you hit the stop button on the remote. First the voltage is turned off on the Champion generator and then after a 5 second delay the engine will stop. This is a great safety feature because it protects the items you have connected to the generator.
The voltage delay feature only works when starting and stopping with the remote. If you start or stop the generator with the electric start or the pull string make sure everything that is connected to the Champion generator is turned off before starting or stopping the 4000 watt generator. Otherwise you risk damaging not only the generator but also the items you have connected to it.
Champion Generator Review 46539 Features
- 4,000 Starting Wattage
- 3,500 Running Wattage
- 196cc 4-Stroke OHV engine
- The fuel tank holds 3.8 gallons of regular unleaded gasoline
- The Champion generator can run up to 12 hours at 50% load
- The wheels are 8 inches
- The noise level is 68 dBa at 23 feet
- It is 26.3 inches long
- 24.4 inches wide
- 22.4 inches tall
- It weighs 138.9 pounds